Monday, May 9, 2011

Finding Joy

Today turned out to be a little bit of a tear-jerker. But in a good way, if that makes sense.  Today was supposed to be a day off for me but, and really no surprise here, i had to work.  My store has been experiencing the black plague of car troubles over the last month , so i was 2 drivers down and ended up going in to drive for 10 hours. I wasn't thrilled about the situation...mainly because it was mother's day and i wanted to see my mom, and also because i haven't had a day off in almost 3 weeks and i'm tired and still trying to fight off being sick. Sooooo, to make myself in a better mood and enjoy my driving shift (which i actually love when i get to do by the way), i listened to instrumental music, a wonderful talk on CD by Richard G. Moore called "Magnifying Your Spirituality", and was extra sweet to all of my customers when i delivered to them.  At one point i was on my way back to the store when i noticed a girl (somewhere in her 20's i'd say) walking down the street.  She was still a little ahead of me as i waited at a 4 way stop.  i saw her playfully jump up onto the curb as she crossed over it...almost as if she was floating. Then, as she walked past a row of bushes and trees, she stuck her hand out and lightly brushed them as she walked past.  Watching those small and seemingly meaningless actions radiated pure joy to me.  I was witnessing someone being happy and enjoying the world around her. And i just started to cry.  Not because i was sad, but because watching someone have a small bit of joy in the moment was so beautiful.  She had no idea who was watching, but i learned something from her today.  I want more joy in my everyday life.  How many beautiful things do i miss out on because i'm just too busy to stop and notice it?  Wanna know one of my goals this week? to find something every single day...no matter how small....that brings me joy. And when i find that thing i will stop and allow myself to experience the beauty of it. Wanna join me?

No comments: