Sunday, May 15, 2011

A Day in the Life...

Of a pizza manager...or more specifically me.  I got to about, oh...say around midnight or so..., when a friend asked if i had experienced a joyful moment today. And i realized to my dismay that not only had i NOT sought a moment of joy today, but had instead been too preoccupied with being annoyed at people ordering pizza. (sorry, sean, if you're reading this).  I don't know what it is about a pizza place, but some people seem to think they can haggle pizza prices as if we are a used car lot. Do other types of places experience this? I mean, when i go to Target or a restaurant or even McDonalds I expect to pay what the set price is.  No, not my customers.  Oh, you don't have very much money? Well, mr. customer, i'd love your business but to get delivery you should expect to pay over 10 dollars. And no, i will not except your beaver pelts in exchange for food.  Last time i checked, we moved out of the 19th century some time ago.  Maybe the value menu at Wendy's is more suited for you and your wallet.  Okay, so maybe this is a little extreme...but people really do try to negotiate with me. all the time. And its A. Noy. Ing.  Speaking of annoying, one of my biggest pet peeves is a customer that is chomping (and i do mean chomping as in loudly) on food while ordering on the phone with me.  This peeve doesn't surprise me because i really really hate loud eating.  I guess it comes from growing up listening to my brothers (yes, all three) smack their food when they chew.  Sorry guys, I love you but its true. (side note to my brothers: I really do love all of you and now you have one free pass to put me on blast for some annoying behavior of mine).  Despite what it seems, i wasn't in that bad of a mood tonight.  In fact one of my favorite conversations with a customer went a little something like this:

Me:  What would you like for your bread side: Cheesybread, Breadsticks or Cinnastix?
Customer: What's the difference between the Cheesybread and the Breadsticks?
Me: Cheese.
(right after i said this, i immediately thought "Crap, why did i let that sarcasm come out? Please take it the right way, please take it the right way" fingers crossed...)
Customer: (chuckles) wow, go me. I'm the smart one tonight huh?
Me: (highly relieved that they caught the humor in it) Trust me, its not the worst question i've had
Customer: Oh really? what was the stupidest question you got all night?
Me: A few orders ago i had a customer ask me to make sure we put that Papa John's garlic sauce in their pizza box
Customer: Wow
Me: Exactly

Anyway, that customer made my night a little better. I guess she gets the joy moment card for the day. I've joked with customers like that before only to have it go totally wrong. But in my opinion i have to keep it light on my end sometimes or i end up wanting to pull my hair out. Or worse, the hair of a customer. It works even better when someone is screaming at me while i am trying to make their order right. Usually i ask them to stop yelling and we can talk about this.  Sometimes, however, they are inconsolable. In those cases, and if i'm in a playful mood, i have been known to do something like this:
Me: I'm so sorry we screwed up. I'd be happy to send a new pizza right out or give you your money back...we want to make this right.
Customer: Well i want a new pizza AND my money. There is no way i'm paying for this. I wanted a pepperoni and beef and i got just a pepperoni. This is unacceptable.
Me: I totally agree that you should get the pizza you asked for. We made a mistake and i'm so sorry. I can remake your pizza and get it right out to you piping hot or refund your money. Do you like dessert? I'd love to also send you an order of our lava cakes on us as an apology.
Customer: I told you i want both.
Me: I'm sorry, but i can only do one or the other. Its company policy.
Customer: Well then i need to speak with your manager
Me: No problem, hold on just a sec
(Usually at this point i put them on hold for about 10 seconds while i stick some labels on boxes or take a time out to gather my composure)
Me: Hi, this is Jill. What seems to be the problem?
Customer: Wait...Wha? Wasn't I just talking to you?
Me: No ma'am, that was my twin sister Jo. She's my assistant. How can i help you?

Never a dull moment in my job...

2 comments:

Darling Nikki said...

When a customer asked me to speak to the manager i would just say "speaking" of course it would take them a minute to realize what i said so i would repeat it. This was my joyful moment cuz at that moment they normally have it figured out i knew what i was talking about and they weren't getting their way :)

Polka Dot Craft Parties said...

See - there is humor in your job - you just need to step back and see it! Too funny.